Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Just Thinking...


So I just realized that I have less than 6 weeks of my semester left, and I will have completed another entire year of college...I'm looking on doing this for the next some odd years, since I can't take being/working with kids who just graduated from high school and think they know everything and insist on smarting off to me whenever they don't know anything to start with, and still live with their freaking parents. I've managed 4 apartments, found our first house in Italy on my own, moved all over the world, went to Sydney, Australia on my own to get off that ridiculous island that I was living on at the time, and the last thing I want to hear is someone sitting there complaining about getting in fights with their boyfriend or parents and taking it out on everyone else. So I've at least accomplished one huge event this year, and will most likely pick up in the summer semester up in Anchorage, since I won't be making the spring. I've kept up with the projects, and brought them around to show to others, leaving them speechless of course, so I kind of understand where their "holier than thou" attitude comes from at times. My talent is in Art, and no one knows that, until they see it...I was reading on one of my books today, another Psychology one, since I don't do the fantasy stuff, and read on like 5 different books at a time, including my college ones. Here's an insert of a part that caught my attention. This is from "The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls"

"As one freshman put it, "your friends know you and how to hurt you. they know what your real weaknesses are. They know exactly what to do to destroy someone's self worth. They try to destroy you from the inside." Such pointed meanness, can stay with you for your entire life, It can define who you are." Where relationships are weapons, friendship itself can become a tool of anger. You can, have a friend, and then go over there and become friends with somebody else, just to make them jealous."

I find that to be very true as I've been through that I don't know how many times. I'm old enough now, to know how to recognize it, and cut it off before having to deal with all the drama that follows along with it. I went through that with one of my friends. We'd known each other since we were one year old, grew up together, went to camp together, birthday parties, slumber parties, dance lessons together, spent weekends together, went to concerts together...the list just goes on and on...It was about high school, and she went and moved to a small town outside the city limits. Then suddenly she was calling me a "snob from the city", and I couldn't understand why since we'd known each other our whole lives and had done everything together. I had no control over where I lived or where I was born in the world, just like no one else does....Pretty hurtful for someone who you have spent so much time with and invested nearly your whole life into. I found out that she was making other friends, getting accustomed to living in a new town, and I basically was being shoved out of her life, and replaced by others who she had barely known a week. Really shallow if you ask me, but I can't control other people's emotions and temperment. So yes this does go on, but a lot of it is left unspoken...

No comments: