Monday, September 6, 2010

100 Places To See In Your Lifetime#60-Rio de Janeiro,Brazil-"Nowhere else combines such intense vitality with an urban setting of such preposterous magnificence. Rio has its problems-poverty is ubiquitous-but its spirit is sustained by such as the thrilling Sugar Loaf Mountain, overlooking the grand harbour; the giant statue on Corcovado of Christ the Redeemer; and the epic beaches Copacabana and Ipanema. Add in the music, food, and soccer, and there is nothing to compare." Okay, I"m holding my breath that this time this thing actually WORKS for me...I don't know what happened, but it was 2 hours trying to upload everything, then I lost it all, and I had to do all this over again, and it's nearly midnight here...So our holiday weekend is over with, and back to normal schedules again...I hope the rest of this month flies by so fast...We had nothing but a bunch of rain on and off all weekend, and 2 typhoons less than a week apart....I'm glad all that is over with now, or at least for the time being....And they are still trying to kill me here literally...I go off base to a restaurant we've never been to before cause I thought it was like hamburger and shake place...Not even close...very decieving by how it looked, cause it sure had me fooled...Some kind of pizza place...so I can deal with pizza, fine, fantastic,... but they don't seem to understand when I ask for a PLAIN SALAD, that doesn't mean put some kind of blubbery thing on top...I get my salad, and this white blubbery thing is right on top, and I won't touch stuff like that, and poke it, and all this yellow, runny, nasty, disgusting mess comes pouring out of it...Then I figured out what it was, and wanted to throw up...They put an OVER-EASY EGG on top of my salad...I guess Japanese bust that thing, and mix the egg yolk in with the salad instead of using salad dressing on it....I about flipped out, and got that nasty thing off as fast as I had seen it, and they just stood there looking at me, like they couldn't believe someone actually lived in the world who didn't eat eggs like they do...It was the first time and only time, that is why I don't try new places very much, no matter how many times I may have seen them...People can't seem to get a hint or a clue or whatever...Don't give me what you like, cause I won't touch it to begin with, and will end up flinging it across the room and it smacking someone in the back of the head or side of the face, depending on what the thing is I said not to give me, and just how mad I got over it...and don't sit there talking to me about it, how "good" it is, and how I should learn to like stuff...That is the kind of garbage you tell kids at the dinner table, not someone who is grown-up and well out on their own...I hope they are doing okay over there in New Zealand since that earthquake they had a few days ago...I was pretty scared for them, cause I wasn't too far from there when I was in Australia, and there were a lot from New Zealand there as well....I haven't seen everything that it caused, but it has me shaken up a lot, cause we get them here every few months, and I'm worried that it may come here next....I got woken up by an earthquake right before the summer, that lasted about 10 seconds, very long ones it seemed like... and my whole entire bed was shaking...that is the most terrifying feeling ever...everything is shaking, and you can't even go anywhere....The first typhoon that we had here last week, didn't do anything to us here, but up north at Okuma Resort, where I've been many times, it split trees in half, and knocked over the lifeguard stand...It was sad really, because we parked right under those trees, and I walked under them, and went to dinner, and walked back from dinner, then to breakfast, and also to their little store thing they have there...Now there are fewer, and their lifeguard stand, I set up my beach things last time, and read my book, and did artwork on the beach for an entire day while it was still cool...I absolutely loved it....Now I don't know what they are going to do that some of that is destroyed.....I hope to go back there before we have to leave here in a few months......I'll try and find pictures of Okuma, and what the typhoon did to it, if I'm not able to find them, I'll just scan the ones that I do have from the newspaper on here...have a good night everyone...I'll talk with you all soon....I should find out this week hopefully where I'll be going next after next year....I just stopped worrying about it since it became too much of a headache...No one ever seems to know anything here anyways, or just tell you they don't know to get you off their back...I can't wait to find out either...so few more days...☺ that first video I saw like at 6am this morning, and it was toooo funny...I loved it once I got to watching it, and listening to the words lol lol I LOVE the part where she is force-feeding that poor guy cake with his picture on it, but he keeps spitting it out, and forcing him to drink one beer after another, thinking they are going to be "together forever" just cause she is doing all that for him...lol kind of scary if you ask me...I figured out that video is about stalking, that's why they all keep taking mug shots and all that stuff in the jail!!!! Oh wow that was so funny, I've been watching it all day, but now my connection is junk once again, and I can't watch or do anything on here really...I guess I"m glad it's finally bedtime since I"ve worn this out once again...I wouldn't even want that done to me!!!!! love it though, wow can't wait to get back to this kind of sense of humour...I hope they come next year somewhere near where I live so I can go and see them in concert....would love it and tell every detail!!!!!!!! Japanese Favourite Stories "The Princess And The Herdboy" "This is a tale of long and long ago, when the King of the Sky was still busy making stars to hang in the heavens at night. The king had a very beautiful daughter. She was called Weaving Princess because she sat at her loom all day long every day. She wove the most delicate stuff in the world. It was so light and airy, so thin and smooth, that it was hung among the stars in the sky and draped toward the earth. It was the cloth that we now call clouds and fog and mist. The King of the Sky was very proud of his daughter because she could weave so beautifully and was such a help to him. He was very busy making the sky, you see, and needed all the help he could get. But one day he noticed that Weaving Princess was becoming pale. "Well, my little princess," the king said, "you've been working too hard I fear. So tomorrow you must take a holiday. Go out and play among the stars all day long. Then please hurry back and help me. I still need much more mist and fog, and many more clouds." The princess was very happy to have a holiday. She'd always wanted to go and wade in teh stream, called the Milky Way, that flowed through the sky. But she'd never had the time before. She put on her prettiest clothes and ran out among the stars, right over the Milky Way. And there, in the middle of the stream, she saw a handsome boy, washing a cow in the water. "Hello, the boy said to the princess, "who are you?" "I'm the star Vega," she answered. "But everyone calls me Weaving Princess." "I"m the star Altair," said the boy. "But everyone calls me Herdboy because I tend the cows that belong to the King Of the Sky. I live over there on the other side of the Milky Way. Won't you come over to my house? So the herdboy pout the princess on the back of the cow and led her across the stream to his house. They played all sorts of wonderful games and had so much fun that the princess forgot all about going home to help her father. The King of the Sky became very worried when the princess failed to come home. He sent a magpie as his messenger to find her and tell her to come home. But when the magpie spoke to the princess she was having such fun that she wouldn't even listen. Finally the king had to go himself and bring the princess home. "You've been very bad," the king said. "Just look at the sky-not even finished yet. You've been away playing and the sky needs clouds and mist and fog. So you can never have another holiday. You must stay here and weave all the time." Then the king poured more and more star water into the Milky Way. Until now it had been a shallow stream that you coud wade across, but the king poured in so much star water that it became a deep, deep river. The princess and the herdboy lived on opposite sides of the river, so now there was no way they could get across to each other. So the princess went into her little house in the sky and sat in front of her loom. But she was so lonely and longed so much for her Herdboy that she couldn't weave at all. Instead, she just sat there weeping all the time. And the sky became emptier and emptier, with no clouds, and no mist, and no fog. Finally the king said, "Please, princess, you mustn't cry all the time. I really need clouds and fog and mist for my sky. I tell you what I"ll do. If you'll weave again and work hard, I"ll let you go and play with the herdboy one day each year." The princess was so happy when she heard this that she went right to work, and she's been working very hard ever since. But once each year, on the seventh night of the seventh month, the King Of The Sky keeps his promise to the Weaving Princess. He sends a flock of magpies to the Milky Way, and with their wings they make a bridge across the deep river. Then the princess goes running across the bridge of magpies to where the herdboy is waiting for her. ANd they have wonderful fun playing together for one whole nighth and one whole day. That's the reason Japanese children celebrate a holiday called Tanabata-sama, "The Seventh Night on the Seventh Month." Children everywhere love to play and it makes them happy to know that the Princess and the Herdboy stars are having such fun together there up in the sky. SO the children on earth decorate bamboo branches with bright pieces of paper and wave them in the sky, to remind the King of the Sky that it's time for him to keep his promise again." CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand – The powerful earthquake that smashed buildings, cracked roads and twisted rail lines around the New Zealand city of Christchurch also ripped a new fault line in the Earth's surface, a geologist said Sunday. At least 500 buildings, including 90 in the downtown area, have been designated as destroyed by the 7.1-magnitude quake that struck at 4:35 a.m. Saturday near the South Island city of 400,000 people. Most other buildings sustained only minor damage.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100905/ap_on_re_as/as_new_zealand_earthquake


7 Spending Tips From Frugal Billionaires 1. Keep Your Home Simple Billionaires can afford to live in the most exclusive mansions imaginable -- and many do, including Bill Gates' sprawling 66,000 square foot, $147.5 million dollar mansion in Medina, Wash. -- yet frugal billionaires like Warren Buffett choose to keep it simple. Buffett still lives in the five-bedroom house in Omaha that he purchased in 1957 for $31,500. Likewise, Carlos Slim has lived in the same house for more than 40 years. 2. Use Self-Powered or Public Transportation Thrifty billionaires including John Caudwell, David Cheriton and Chuck Feeney prefer to walk, bike or use public transportation when getting around town. Certainly these wealthy individuals could afford to take a helicopter to their lunch meetings, or ride in chauffeur-driven Bentleys, but they choose to get a little exercise and take advantage of public transportation instead. Good for the bank account and great for the environment. 3. Buy Your Clothes off the Rack While some people, regardless of their net value, place a huge emphasis on wearing designer clothes and shoes, some frugal billionaires decide it's simply not worth the effort, or expense. You can find David Cheriton, the Stanford professor who matched Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page to the venture capitalists at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers (resulting in a large reward of Google stock), wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of the furniture company Ikea, avoids wearing suits, and John Caudwell, mobile phone mogul, buys his clothes off the rack instead of spending his wealth on designer clothes. 4. Keep your Scissors Sharp The average haircut costs about $45, but people can and do spend up to $800 per cut and style. Multiply that by 8.6 (to account for a cut every six weeks) and it adds up to $7,200 per year, not including tips. These billionaires can certainly afford the most stylish haircuts, buy many cannot be bothered by the time it takes or the high price tag for the posh salons. Billionaires like John Caudwell and David Cheriton opt for cutting their own hair at home. 5. Drive a Regular Car While billionaires like Larry Ellison (co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation) enjoy spending millions on cars, boats and planes, others remain low key with their vehicles of choice. Jim Walton (of the Wal-Mart clan) drives a 15-year-old pickup truck. Azim Premji, an Indian business tycoon, reportedly drives a Toyota Corolla. And Ingvar Kamprad of Ikea drives a 10-year-old Volvo. The idea is to buy a dependable car, and drive it into the ground. No need for a different car each day of the week for these frugal billionaires. 6. Skip Luxury Items It may surprise some of us, but the world's wealthiest person, Carlos Slim (the one who could spend more than a thousand dollars a minute and not run out of money for one hundred years) does not own a yacht or a plane. (Reducing the amount you spend is the easiest way to make your money grow.) Many other billionaires have chosen to skip these luxury items. Warren Buffett also avoids these lavish material items, stating, "Most toys are just a pain in the neck." 9 Of The Most Polluted Cities In the World#4-Phoenix,Arizona-"Looking nationally, the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale area is 2010's worst place in the United States for year round particle pollution, a mix of dust, soot and aerosols."

No comments: